Monday, August 13, 2007

The Sideways Lace Scarf Pattern

I’ve been putting off writing up this pattern and I am not really sure why. But I am now proud to bring to you my second pattern, the Sideways Lace Scarf.

This Broom-stick lace pattern is a very versatile pattern and extremely easy to modify for your desired yarn, size, available knitting needle size etc. I will first write up the basic pattern that I used, and then explain how it can be modified.

The Sideways Lace Scarf Pattern

Required Tools:

1.5 Skeins Bernat Satin Yarn
Size H Crochet Hook
US 19 (15 mm) Knitting Needle

Approx Size: 72" length - width as desired

With crochet hook:

Chain 253
Row1: Sc in 2nd chain from hook and in each chain stitch (total 252 sc) do not turn

Row 2: Pull the loop that is on the hook onto your knitting needle, and working from left to right, * insert your hook into the back-loop of the next SC, yarn over, draw yarn through the loop and, being careful not to twist, place it on the knitting needle * repeat from * to end (252 loops on the needle)

Row 3: Without turning, insert crochet hook under the first 3 loops, yo & pull through the loops, pull loops off of needle, Ch 1, 3 sc into top of the 3 yarn loops * in next 3 loops on the needle, 3sc in each across * (252 sc with 84 broomstick motifs)

Repeat Rows 2 & 3 until you have reached desired width

Last Row: Turn, Sc in each st across and finish off

Optional: A fringe can be added to the ends if desired


MODIFICATIONS:

Any type of yarn can be used, with the appropriate sized crochet hook for that yarn....with bulkier yarn I would decrease the chain, thinner yarn increase the chain so that you have the desired length in your chain.

A longer scarf needed? Increase your chain by groups of 3 (a group of 7 (21 ch) adds another 5 inches in length when using a H hook & worsted weight yarn)
A shorter scarf needed? Decrease your chain by groups of 3

Only have a Size 35 knitting needle:? I would suggest doing groups of 4 then, so make your starting chain 253, and increase or decrease by 4 to reach the desired length

Only have a Size 50 knitting needle? I would suggest using this with a group of 5, so increase your starting chain to 256, and increase or decrease by 5 to reach the desired length

Do not be scared to play around with needle sizes to achieve the desired Broomstick motif size

Ravelry Pattern Link: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sideways-lace-scarf

Copyright © 2007 Kimberly Langlois All rights reserved.

Reproducing or transmitting this pattern by any means for any purpose other than for personal use constitutes a violation of copyright law.

This scarf may be made for personal use only. Should you wish to make the finished scarves for sale, please contact for permission. Should you wish to use this pattern for a class or event, please contact for permission.

Creative Commons License


Sideways Lace Scarf Pattern by
Kimberly Langlois is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

16 comments:

Kellycat said...

So sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well. I sure hope that you are feeling better as I'm writing this.

Beautiful projects you have been working on. I love the colors in the round afghan. This scarf is really pretty, and I think it is doable. Thanks for the pattern!

Mimi said...

Yay! I hope I can try this one soon Kimberly, and I'm sure I won't be scared of broomstick lace because your pattern looks so well written ;)

Jenny Moore said...

Ooooh! Another broomstick lace project! Can't wait to try it. The scarf is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I will definetly be making this one too.Your other Broomstick lace scarf was so easy to make and turned out very pretty too.You write your patterns really well too

LG said...

Dear Kim, Zori told me everything about you... Are you feeling better now?
I´m not writing you an e-mail cause I know your mailbox is so full... but if you have time to visit my blog, you´ll see a FO with one of the amazing yarn your brought me. Thank you!

Linda said...

The scarf is gorgeous! Thanks for taking the time to write up the pattern. I'm definitely going to have to give this a try.

Yasmin said...

Kimberly, this is a beautiful scarf. Thanks for sharing the pattern. It's going to be my next project.

Anonymous said...

Hey, so glad to see some items made using this stitch...My mom taught me how when I was a teenager. And I haven't seen too many sites featuring this. Keep up the good work.

May said...

I'm new to reading crochet patterns. I don't understand the directions for row 3:
"3 sc into top of the 3 yarn loops * in next 3 loops on the needle, 3sc in each across"
Can anyone explain this or refer me to a site preferably with illustrations? It would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Why did you post a knitting pattern on a crochet site?

Anonymous said...

To anonymous on 1/2/12 - this isn't a KNITTING pattern. Broomstick lace is crochet - the large knitting needle is used to hold the loop stitches. A size Q, N, or P crochet hook would also work.

Anonymous said...

Please forgive me, I'm new at this. How do you add the fringe? It looks like it's worked in to the pattern, not just tied on. Please help. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I';m new to this and I would like to do this scarf but find it impossible to read the instruction with the dark fushia background. I do not understand why you would use that or any color for a background when it is so difficult to read on the computer. I for one am very disappointed.

Anonymous said...

I'd like a copy of the Sideways Lace Scarf in black and white printing. This hard to read. It's a beautiful scarf, but my eyes are not the greatest.

Beverly Nulik
beverlynulik1@me.com

dgatlin said...

For people saying that it is hard to read, copy the pattern into MS Word and it's a lot easier to read.

ken steve said...

Hello friends,
I'm a little ashamed to tell such a story. But I would like to share with you a great resource. I've had problems since my sexual organ was too small. I've been worried about this and tried to rectify the situation by means of pumps and tablets. Because of the tablets, which I ordered, I had complications and I was in the hospital for some time after that I gave up trying to increase my penis. But once I found Dr adam herbal cream. My first result was: plus 3 centimeters after 2weeks of usage. If you want to know more details and how you can enlarge your penis bigger, I recommend you to contact Dr adam today, email address adamokpoko@gmail.com or add him on whatsapp line +2348151731392.