Sunday, September 18, 2005

My name is not Ben.....

"My name is not Ben....." Head spin....Huh?????

Well, I have known this guy named "Ben" for well over a year. We met at the disco, went out for coffee once or twice and then settled into the friendly "say hi and smile" when we saw each other with an occasional conversation.

Well.....last night I was out with Zori and her friend Oscar, and bumped into "Ben". Did the normal smile and "hello" and we kept going our separate ways. Later in the evening I was feeling like the third wheel with Zori and Oscar so I decided to take a stroll around the bar to see who I could see (I normally have a few friends hanging out there on the weekends) Well, got into a conversation with "Ben". Ended up coming back to my place to listen to music - that's it - lets get your mind out of the gutter here folks! Well, during our interesting conversation about American, Kosovo (thats where he is originally from) the war there, Clinton, Bush, family etc he pulls out the bomb shell. "My name is not Ben....its Avni" Huh? WTF? I've known you for a year, you told me your name was Ben, you call yourself Ben.....just who are you?

Turns out Ben is his cousins name, and he uses that so people don't know who he is. He tells people his real name when he gets to know them.....so I guess I know him, but Geez! I feel like I've been lied to majorly here! What else has he lied about? Is he married with 5 kids waiting for him back in Kosovo....is he really from Kosovo? I thought that I was the paranoid one for telling people occasionally that I'm Canadian and live in Anderlecht when I am American and live in Ixelles. I've used the fake name before, but that was with people I had no intention of EVER talking to again.

We made tentative plans to see each other later in the week, but I am not so sure that I want to see him again......a year is a long time to go by another name!

Oh well, its off to brunch with Zori, and then hopefully to bed early tonight since I have a 7:30 am flight to Zurich tomorrow morning!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ack! I'd be totally weirded out by that, too.

I mean, once he saw that you guys were gonna become, at least casual friends, he should have just told you! Like you said, I've used the wrong name before, but only with someone I never wanted to meet with again!

Marvie said...

I'd be totally freaked out by that, possibly the whole Force Protection thing that's kinda drilled into our heads being part of the military community. I think I'd still be freaked by it though lol.

Divaborn said...

That would absolutely FREAK me out! I for sure have used the wrong name on occasion, but come on - a year?

Anonymous said...

Ok, yea, that is weird. I'd be wondering about the wife and kids thing too. Huh. Just be careful if you do see him again :)
Let me know if you still need the Family Circle Easy Crochet mag. I'll see if I can find another and I'm sure we can work something out :)

Anonymous said...

I think I would be freaked out as well. I wouldn't blame you for not seeing him again. The whole trust issue would have been majorly broken if someone tried that with me! Be very careful!

~SP

Jessica said...

Wow. Weird. If you don't decide to see him again, make sure you tell him why (from a safe distance, of course). It's thoughtless and rude, at a minimum, and shows a complete lack of respect for you at a maximum. He should hear that, even if he doesn't understand it.

Anonymous said...

Can you say Loserrrrrr. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is wrong and the sooner you so SO LONG to this problem child or whatever he is, the better for everybodys peace of mind, especially your fathers. This guy has some serious issues. You need NO part of them or him. Now thats said and out of the way. See you Friday.

Kimberly said...

Thanks everyone! I am still waiting to find out more about him and this whole situation....its a bit bizarre to say the least!

Dad - you'll probably get to see him....not sure if I'll introduce you...when we go out dancing friday night...don't forget your dancing shoes!!