Sunday, July 17, 2005

Willy Wonka - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory

A continuation of the last post, but deserving of its own post, so here it is....

And the highlight of my weekend so far.....I got to see Willy Wonka!!

Okay, its actually Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but that's just semantics! I have been in love with the first version for years! The Oompa Loompa songs (What do you get when you guzzle down sweets? Eating as much as an elephant eats. What are you at getting terribly fat? What do you think will come of that? ....I don't like the look of that. Oompa Loompa Doo ba dee do, if you are wise you'll listen to me. You will live in happiness to, like the Oompa Loompa Doo bah dee do......Doo bah dee DO!) remain my favorites in the first version, a bit of a let down in the second version - the singing was hard to understand and lost the simplistic messages of the first version.

They changed the movie a bit in the new version, and from what I have heard, they stayed closer to the book in this one. I've not read the book (or at least don't remember reading it) so I can not exactly say. They did go into how Wonka met the Oompa Loompas and a few flash backs to his childhood and what caused him to become the eccentric candy & chocolate maker that he is. Mister Depp did a fair rendition of Willy Wonka - not a crazy/bizarre kinda kooky as Mister Wilder did, but more of a disturbed genius struggling with past issues.

End decision...I enjoyed the movie very much, but the first still holds the top spot in my heart! Have you seen the movie yet? What is you opinion? Vote in my two polls on the side bar!!

No comments: